Centro Legal’s Tenants’ Rights Program assists Oakland and Hayward tenants:
- in addressing habitability issues
- providing limited scope representation in eviction cases
- providing Pro Per assistance with eviction cases
- providing limited and full scope representation in hearings before the Oakland Rent Adjustment Program
Under the supervision of housing attorneys, law clerks will have the opportunity to work one-on-one with primarily monolingual Spanish speaking tenants seeking assistance with a variety of matters including the preparation of Pro Per answers to unlawful detainer complaints and relevant motions. Law clerks may have the opportunity to represent tenant clients at hearings before the Oakland Rent Adjustment Program contesting rent increases and seeking rent reductions for decreased housing services. In addition, the law clerk will assist with Centro Legal’s housing clinics.
Centro Legal’s Workers’ Rights Program provides advise, counsel, Pro Per assistance, and legal representation to low-wage and immigrant workers facing wage theft, workplace discrimination, and retaliation. Law clerks with the Workers’ Rights Program, will have the opportunity to work closely with supervising attorneys in all aspects of this work. This includes conducting one-on-one consults with low-income, primarily monolingual Spanish-speaking workers at our legal clinics, assisting workers in preparing claims, and conducting legal research and preparing briefs so support workers’ claims through both administrative advocacy and litigation. Law clerks will also have the opportunity to represent workers in conferences or hearings before the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement.
Centro Legal’s Immigration Program is focused on serving the needs of our most vulnerable community members, including families living in poverty, women, children, and victims of violent crimes (including domestic violence). We specialize in detained and non-detained deportation defense for individuals in removal proceedings. Under the supervision of an attorney, law clerks will have the opportunity to assist in the representation of individuals in removal proceedings before the San Francisco Immigration Court and the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. Duties may include:
- Preparing and submitting applications, legal briefs and supporting documentation for cases involving asylum, withholding of removal, relief under the Convention Against Torture, cancellation of removal, U visas, and a variety of other forms of immigration relief
- Assisting Centro Legal attorneys with legal intake at the West County Detention Facility
- Participation in Centro Legal’s in-house and off-site legal rights presentations and intake clinics